A group of hackers often referred to as Anonymous have set their sights on Visa.com in a recent war against those sites that have denied service to WikiLeaks.
Previous WikiLeaks-related targets of what has been dubbed “Operation Payback” (here’s a video that breaks it down) include Swiss bank PostFinance (still down for the count), which has closed the account of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, PayPal (Anon took down the blog, but it’s now operational) and Mastercard (now up and running — at least in some browsers).
Visa.com is now down for the count as well.
PandaLabs supplied us with the below summary of activity by Operation Payback:
- After pulling the plug on payments to WikiLeaks, Mastercard’s website was taken down and remains out of service.
- Senator Joe Lieberman’s website was taken down for 12 minutes (the first .gov site to be attacked).
- Sarah Palin’s website was taken offline by a small group of Anonymous attackers.
- The group sent spam faxes to Joe Lieberman’s office and to PostFinance.
- PostFinance was attacked the hardest, leaving customers without the ability to conduct online banking.
- They took down the website of the lawyer representing the two women who were allegedly raped/assaulted by WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.
- The group took down Assange’s Swedish prosecutor’s website.
Wikileaks and Julian Assange. Shlomo ben Ami, Avigdor Lieberman, the Mossad...
2600 Magazine: The Hacker Quarterly - Digital Edition - Autumn 2010
DUTHELREPORT 2010: WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange on the way to Guantanamo Bay detention center?
NOTE ReconEarth: Good for them! lol! I love this. You are witnessing world history folks. For the first time a group of so called little guys can stand up for righteousness instantly because of the Internet. I love it. The American Government wants this guy out of commission so bad the`re trying everything to discredit him, even putting the pressure on American companies to follow along. So they did so like they always have in the past but @anon_operation has put their foot down and is fighting back for righteousness.
I see this whole thing with Wikileaks one of two ways. Either this guy has pioneered the whistle blowing type website and we should be thanking he and his associates for their tenacity and wit for disclosure on what the masses demand or the whole thing is fed and funded black government propaganda to disclose anything needed so it may still be controlled. A twisted inside out enigma ment for the masses to ponder with while they continue with something else that has yet to be revealed.
You can`t make this stuff up... or could you?